Thursday, August 13, 2015

5 Ways to Get Organized with Children Around



   Do you like my posts? Make sure you like me on Facebook so you can see more posts like this one! 
Image result for official facebook icon
    I like to have things organized. Obviously that tendency had to change when I had a child, because nothing stays clean or organized in a house with children. And that's okay. But for someone like me, who feels better when things are organized, I have found that even with a child in the house I can maintain some sort of order by following a few steps. 
    If you are anything like me and you like structure but since you had children you aren't sure how to keep things clean/organized; I hope these tips will help you.

1. Be Flexible. I have to tell myself this daily. If Toddler Picturesque doesn't stay on schedule I can't get upset. If she skips a nap, I can't get upset. All I can do is try my best and she will get the sleep she needs. Why am I suggesting to you to be flexible, what does that have to do with becoming organized? Because any time you are dealing with children, you have to be flexible. Children do not tend to do what we want them to do. It's their human nature. That and whenever you get used to your child sticking to a certain schedule, they suddenly change. SMH. 
    This is the nature of parenting. The earlier we become flexible, the easier it is to deal with problems when they arise. 

2. Make Lists. Making lists helps me remember what I need to do that day. But the list can't be some kind of rigid guideline, otherwise you will beat yourself up if you don't complete everything on that list (which you won't). I have lists for:
  • Grocery shopping - we have a marker board on our fridge where I write down what we need for the week. 
  • I keep a list of daily to do's on my email's calendar. This works great for me because I can add reminders with an alarm. So for important items I CAN'T forget, these reminders show up on my phone.
  • I also keep a written list depending on the need. And if there is a big event we are planning, I need several lists (a "what to buy" list, "what needs to be cleaned" list, "what needs to be made" list...). If we are traveling I also need several lists (a "what to pack in Toddler P's suitcase" list, "my suitcase" list, "hubby's suitcase" list, "what has been already packed" list, "what to buy" list...).
3. Don't Get Overwhelmed. This is a key to being organized, do not get overwhelmed by all that needs to be done. As soon as you get overwhelmed with all that needs to get done or organized, it often can incapacitate you. If you look all around and see all that needs to get done, often the thought of doing anything becomes overwhelming and you convince yourself to get nothing done instead.
    However, if you are happy with each task you get done, however small, then you have at least accomplished something. Cheer yourself on! You got something done. Maybe it was that you managed to get the colors washed (but not folded)... hey you got something on your list done today! Good job!  

4. Focus on One Area at a Time. This is a very similar thought to making a list. Focus on only one area of your home at a time, or one task at a time. If you are constantly thinking of what you need to do next, you won't effectively get anything done. So let's say you are trying to organize a room, focus on one cabinet or closet at a time not the whole room. Breaking a project into pieces is the easiest way to get something done (especially when you have a child). When you have children, getting something done can take days because your attention is constantly divided, and that's okay. 

5. Get to Work. Now comes the actual work. Depending on what you are trying to get done, whether it is accomplishing a list of chores, going shopping, packing for a trip, or getting your home organized... now is the time to get it done. 
    Here are some steps to help get your home organized.  

  • Empty out the area of the room you plan to organize (a closet, a cabinet...). 
  • Sort through the items from that space. Determine what should be kept, tossed, or given away. 
  • Buy whatever items you need to organize that space. Do you need baskets? Do you need bins?
  • Organize with your newly purchased baskets or bins and put back together the room you worked on.  
And finally here are some great free printables to help get you organized! 
                                                          

6 comments:

  1. Great tips! I am a list junkie, so I can completely relate to that area! I have a list of things I need to get done each week, as well as a list I need to do by day. I find that tackling a little bit of the household chores each day makes my life easier. Also, bigger house projects (like reorganizing a closet or moving lots of things around) are easier to do with two adults around. We can tackle some things together and one can entertain the little man if so needed. =) I'm pinning for others to enjoy!
    ~Heather aka HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Heather! I am a list junkie too, if you cant tell from this post hehe. Totally agree about doing the big projects with hubby... Makes it so much quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely wouldn't be able to survive without my lists!

    You've left some fabulous suggestions here too!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jennifer! I agree, I don't know what I would do without my lists! I think I probably would be even more confused then usual :) hehe. Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Lists are my favorite - and the only way I can keep from getting overwhelmed! :) Thank you for linking up to Works for Me Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Mary! Lists are my fave too :D

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Check out my other posts to see posts similar to this one!