Friday, April 24, 2015

Allergy Friendly Toddler Food Ideas

   
    A couple of months ago, we found out that our 11 month old couldn't have eggs. Unfortunately we found out the hard way... with her breaking out in hives all over her face! We've had this happen 3 times now... just because my husband and I touched something with eggs in it or even our dogs saliva had egg in it! 
    So needless to say, now I'm being extra careful with many of the trigger allergens when it comes to feeding Baby Picturesque her finger goods. I already was fairly careful up to this point because I'm allergic to casein (a protein found in dairy), but now I'm being SUPER careful! 
    For her first birthday bash, I want to have a smash cake for her... but I need something allergy friendly (just in case). Also, I don't want sugar in it (other than naturally occurring sugar). Thankfully I found a cake mix at our local health food store that is gluten, egg, nut and dairy free! Her first birthday bash will be another post for another day about how this cake tastes. But in the meantime, in case you need an allergy friendly cake mix... the cake mix is called Cherrybrook Kitchen, Gluten Free Dreams.

   
    Other than some basic items, it has been a real struggle to figure out what to give Baby P. for her finger foods. There are the obvious items I give her like blueberries, plums, peas, carrots, and grapes. But I would like to give her the same food we eat, and food that is easy to make. 

I found this wonderful website #keeleymcguire.com, that goes through gluten free and allergy friendly kid food ideas. Not only does she have some great ideas/recipes on this page, but she has PICTURES!! I love it when there are pictures included for kid food ideas because I can take a look and decide if it is what I want or not.  


One recipe that looks relatively easy, doable and allergy friendly are these veggie nuggets:


    As I mentioned earlier, Baby P. is currently sensitive to eggs... so I have to absolutely stay away from all things egg related. I found this website that breaks down the common egg replacers and what the ratio is to substitute for an egg. 
    This is also a great chart to understand the substitutions for egg:
 

    Finally, here is breakfast idea that I adapted to be allergen free. It is gluten, nut, egg and dairy free Quinoa Pancakes!


Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine
1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 mashed banana (instead of egg)
1/2 tsp course salt
1 Tbsp  earth balance soy free butter, melted, plus more for skillet
1/4 cup almond milk (I use original unsweetened)
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup 
1) In medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together banana, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
2) Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium-high (I did medium). Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls (I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup) into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter 
Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit or preserves if desired. 
Makes about 12. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Check out my other posts to see posts similar to this one!